NIH Public Access Policy
"The Director of the National Institutes of Health shall require that all investigators funded by the NIH submit or have submitted for them to the National Library of Medicine’s PubMed Central an electronic version of their final, peer-reviewed manuscripts upon acceptance for publication, to be made publicly available no later than 12 months after the official date of publication: Provided, That the NIH shall implement the public access policy in a manner consistent with copyright law." (NIH, 2008)
- NIH Public Access Policy Overview
- NIH Public Access Policy Details
- NIH Public Access Policy FAQs
- PubMed Central (PMC)
NIH: Steps for compliance
- If the publisher's policy does not allow deposit, attach this Letter to Publisher (pdf) from the UC Office of Technology Transfer. Another option is to modify the publisher's copyright transfer agreement to retain the right to make the article available in PMC by attaching this NIH Addendum Form (pdf).
Tools for complying with the NIH policy
- Finding Journal Policies for Submission Methods
- NIH Manuscript Submission System (NIHMS)
- NIHMS Tutorials
- NIH Grants Lookup Tool
- Flowcharts/Diagrams for Compliance
- Instructions to Authors for Over 6,000 Journals (useful to determine journal submission methods)
NIH to delay funding
NIH notice: Public access policy compliance to impact funding distribution
On Friday, November 16, 2012 the NIH announced “that in Spring, 2013, at the earliest, NIH will delay processing of non-competing continuation grant awards if publications arising from that award are not in compliance with the NIH public access policy. The award will not be processed until recipients have demonstrated compliance.” (NIH Notice Number: NOT-OD-12-160).
Interested in a class?
NIH Public Access Policy: What it Means for You and How to Ensure Compliance
The class provides an overview of the NIH Public Access Policy in lecture/presentation format, including the steps involved in complying with the policy and how to demonstrate compliance.
For more information or to schedule a class for your group, contact Amy Studer: firstname.lastname@example.org