Ideas for Search Terms
SAT (educational test)
college entrance examination board
college entrance examinations
educational tests and measurements
universities and colleges admission
universities and colleges entrance requirements
prediction of scholastic success
diversity in education
Tips for Article Searching
1. Limits: To focus your search, utilize database features that allow you to specify criteria such as date, language and publication type, e.g. peer reviewed journals
2. Sort Order: Note how your search results are organized - many databases sort by date (most recent articles appear first) rather than relevance
3. Subject Terms: Pay attention to the subject terms because they can lead to other relevant articles on your topic
5. Not Satisfied? If you are not finding relevant results about your topic, try different combinations of search terms, or select another database to search
Tips for Finding Books
1. Note the call number for any title you would like to find, e.g. QR188 .C47 2010.
2. Consult a Library Map to determine the location of the title
Did You Know? The majority of our collections are organized according to the Library of Congress Classification system.
The Carlson Health Sciences Library and the Blaisdell Medical Library use a different system developed by the U.S. National Library of Medicine, the NLM Classification.
Use the suggestions on this page to search for journalistic & academic sources about your topic.
For keyword suggestions, review the Ideas for Search Terms
To Search for Journalistic Sources, Start Here!
Use the resources listed below to search for articles published in newspapers and magazines.
To Search for Books, Start Here!
Use the Harvest UC Davis Catalog to search collections available in/through the Library.
Search by KEYWORD:
- "colleges and universities" and "united states" and admission
- "standardized test*" and college*
Search by SUBJECT:
Title: The chosen: The hidden history of admission and exclusion at Harvard, Yale, and Princeton
Author: Jerome Karabel
Publisher: Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 2005
Call number: LB2351.3.A85 K37 2005
Title: Student diversity at the big three: changes at Harvard, Yale, and Princeton since the 1920s
Author: Marcia Graham Synnott
Publisher: New Brunswick: Transaction Publishers, 2013
Call number: LD2126 .S95 2013
Title: Estimating the payoff to attending a more selective college: An application of selection on observables and unobservables
Authors: Stacy Berg Dale and Alan B. Krueger
Journal: The Quarterly Journal of Economics (2002) 117(4): 1491-1527
Call number: online access
Title: Genius revisited: High IQ children grown up
Author: Rena Subotnik, Lee Kassan, Ellen Summers, and Alan Wasser
Publisher: Norwood, N.J.: Ablex, 1993
Call number: BF723.G5 G365 1993