Many students choose to attend schools or universities outside their home countries. Why do some students study abroad? This question requires you to analyze the reasons why students choose to study abroad. Use specific reasons and details from your research to explain your answer. (Note: This should not be a personal narrative).
Understand Your Assignment
Click the image below to learn more about understanding your assignment and picking a manageable topic.
Consider Your Framework
Use these strategies to begin to focus your research:
1. Topic/Question(s): What do you already know about your topic? What do you want to find out?
- The Center for Global Education: Why Study Abroad?
- National History Museum: America on the Move (transportation history exhibition)
2. Sources: Which types of sources you would like to identify (or are you required to use) and read:
|Types of Sources:||Research Tool:|
|Journal, Magazine, Newspaper Articles||Subscription Database(s)|
|Websites (e.g. statistics, government agencies)||Commercial Search Engine(s)|
3. Search: What has been published in credible sources?
4. Refine: Narrow your focus if needed - it is typical to revise your question as you learn more about the issue.
- Date range, e.g. sources published in the last 3 years
- Geography, e.g. California
- Population, e.g. University students