About this Guide
This Guide provides instructions on various steps to take to ensure compliance of the NIH Public Access Policy.
In this guide you will find:
- How to create a My NCBI account
- How to approve NIHMS submissions
- How to claim an NIHMS record
- Answers to common questions
- Who to contact for help
NIH Webinar: NCBI & NIH Policy
Mar 5, 2015 Webinar
NCBI and the NIH Public Access Policy: PubMed Central Submissions, My NCBI, My Bibliography and SciENcv
Outlines how to use My NCBI to report public access policy compliance for NIH grant holders.
Topics include the NIH Public Access Policy, NIHMS and PubMed Central submissions, creating My NCBI accounts, My Bibliography to report compliance to eRA Commons, and SciENcv to create biosketches.
Notice Number: NOT-OD-13-042 For non-competing continuation grant awards with a start date of July 1, 2013 or beyond:
1) NIH will delay processing of an award if publications arising from it are not in compliance with the NIH public access policy.
2) Investigators will need to use My NCBI to enter papers onto progress reports. Papers can be associated electronically using the RPPR, or included in the PHS 2590 using the My NCBI generated PDF report.
Please see NOT-OD-12-160 for more details.
Compliance Process Diagram
The diagram below depicts the overall process involved in the NIH Public Access Policy. It illustrates what systems are involved and the interactions between those systems. The steps a PI/author needs to take are illustrated, with those that are typically problematic highlighted in red.
If the publisher's policy does not allow deposit, attach this Letter to Publisher (pdf) from the UC Office of Technology Transfer. Another option is to modify the publisher's copyright transfer agreement to retain the right to make the article available in PMC by attaching this NIH Addendum Form (pdf).
If you are unable to determine if you have permission to submit the final peer-reviewed manuscript to NIHMS, you will need to contact the publisher to ask for permission. We have created a template (below) you can use.