Endnote: How to Create A Library
Endnote uses libraries to store your references. For help, see: Endnote Online User Guide
1. Open Endnote:
- Double-click on the Endnote icon
- Or go to: Start --> Programs --> Endnote
- The Welcome To Endnote dialog box will appear
- The popup window that appears gives an overview of Endnote
- IF the popup window does not appear, from within Endnote click HELP: Welcome To Endnote
- 2. How To Create or Open A Library
- Create A New Library: Click File NEW
- Open An Existing Library: Click File OPEN LIBRARY (or OPEN RECENT)
Parts of A Library
Parts of an Endnote Library
You have some control over how Endnote displays,
the default value is for your libraries to display as three areas or panels:
- Groups Panel: default setting: it appears on the far left.
- Displays any groups you have created.
- Reference List Panel: default setting: it appears in the middle.
- References: Each line in this panel is an individual reference (citation).
- To see all fields in a reference, double-click on a reference
- Column Headings: Click on any column heading to sort the citations in that library by that field.
- Click, hold & drag a column heading to change the location of the column.
- Fields Displayed: You can determine the fields which display in the Reference List Panel
- Hover cursor over field column headings, and right-click: check the fields you want to appear.
- OR, from top tool bar, choose EDIT -> Preferences -> Display Fields
- Tabs Panel (or Reference Panel): default setting: it appears on the far right, can also be moved to the bottom of the screen.
- Click on the appropriate button to display either:
- Reference: The full record or each reference
- Preview: Shows citation for a given reference will look, in the currently selected output style.
- Attached PDFs: The PDF for the reference, if attached.
- Paper Clip ICON: Use to link the citation to a file (usually a PDF) on your computer.
- To delete links: Open the reference and delete the link given in the File Attachments field.
- Control Panel Layout: Displays or hides the Groups Panel and Tabs Panel; controls placement of Tabs Panel (right side, or bottom).
- Add Output Styles: Use to add additional Output Styles (citation formats).
- In the Output Style Box:
- Choose: SELECT ANOTHER STYLE
- Select the style you want to add
- Click the CHOOSE button
- Repeat process to add all the Style Formats you need
- An output style is a citation format, there are hundreds (possibly thousands) to choose from.
- Most journals have their own specific citation format.
- Generally, you will you add the Output Styles needed for your discipline after install Endnote. Then you are done.
- The currently selected output style shows in the Output Style window.