Selecting Databases for 3Rs Searching
Database Selection Tips
Select the databases according to the study and particular question being asked.
Databases vary by the type and number of records they contain, their dates of coverage, the formats of literature they consider (i.e., chapters, articles, proceedings), and the scope.
When searching for animal research alternatives, it is very important to look in more than one database. While your first instinct may be to look only in PubMed, there are a wide variety of other options that will usually give you different relevant results.
Most researchers choose to start with PubMed or another broadly inclusive biomedical reseach database (ie, Scopus, Embase, Biosis).
Your additional databases can be a second biomedical research database, or focus on a specific aspect of the protocol design, the animal model, the 3Rs, or other funded research
If there is a specific database relevant to the protocol topic or model, you should include it in your search.
You are welcome to contact a health sciences librarian for assistance in selecting the most useful databases for your protocol.
Specialized Websites and Databases
- Site for news, information, discussion, and resources from the field of alternatives to animal testing
- Australian and New Zealand Council for the Care of Animals in Research and Teaching
- Many useful resources including Fact Sheets, Newsletters, and publications.
- Animal Welfare Information Center
- Site for information for improved animal care and use in research, teaching, and testing
- Center for Alternatives to Animal Testing. Johns Hopkins University
- Global resources for the development of replacement, reduction and refinement alternatives for research and testing
- CCAC 3Rs Mircrosite
- Canadian Council on Animal Care - Replacement, Reduction and Refinement Alternatives
- Fund for the Replacement of Animals in Medical Experiments (UK)
- Researching alternatives to animal use in research, testing, and education
- Database acts as a filter applied to a PubMed search, simplifying retrieval of journal articles related to both the research topic and the 3Rs.
- An information resource for members and staff of institutional animal care and use committees. It is a link archive, organized by menus and submenus, produced by the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS).
- Institute for Laboratory Animal Research
- Prepares authoritative reports on subjects of importance to the animal care and use community and serves as a clearinghouse for information about animal resources
- JAX Mice Databases
- Mouse Model Lists, Inbred Strains of Mice and Rats, Mouse Genome Database, and more.
- Mouse Biology Program
- UCDavis, provides links to internet resources and databases for transgenic and targeted mutation research
- UK-based National Centre for the Replacement, Refinement & Reduction of Animals in Research, Resources, Microsites, Hubs particularly useful.
- NICEATM / ICCVAM
- NTP Interagency Center for the Evaluation of Alternative Toxicological Methods / Interagency Coordinating Committee on the Validation of Alternative Methods
- Norwegian Inventory of Alternatives. Norwegian Reference Centre for Laboratory Animal Science and Alternatives
- Database of audiovisuals, computer programs, cd-roms, interactive videos, and other alternatives for use in the biological sciences
- NIH Research Portfolio Online Reporting Tools Expenditures & Results
- Searchable database of federally funded biomedical research projects
- 3R Guide
- Norecopa, in collaboration with the Animal Welfare Information Center has produced a database which provides an overview of guidelines, databases, journals, email lists, regulations and policies which may help researchers to implement the 3Rs when planning research that may involve animals.
- 3Rs Centre ULS
- The 3Rs-Centre Utrecht Life Sciences (ULS) stimulates the development, acceptation and implementation of 3Rs methods (replacement, reduction and refinement of animal experiments). Two databases: the Interspecies Database (www.interspeciesinfo.com) and the Humane Endpoints website (www.humane-endpoints.info).
- Citations to U.S. literature in the agriculture, life sciences, vet med
- Aquatic Sciences Fisheries Abstracts
- Citations to information on the science, technology, and management of marine, freshwater and brackish water environments and organisms
- Citations for journals, books, conference proceedings, and technical reports in the life sciences and biology
- Citations to international information on veterinary medicine, human and animal nutrition, agriculture, rural development and related topics
- Multidisciplinary database covering nursing, allied health, biomedicine, and consumer health literature.
- Bibliographic database of scientific and technical engineering research, journals and conferences.
- Embase is a resource for discovering biomedical evidence within published, peer-reviewed literature, in-press publications and conference abstracts. Embase retrieves relevant abstracts from the biomedical literature based on deep, full-text indexing of drug, disease and medical device information.
- Educational Resources Information Center. Provides extensive access to educational- related documents and journal articles
- Citations for scholarly journals, conference proceedings, book reports and dissertations in physics, electrical engineering and electronics, computers and control, and information technology
- Citations and abstracts for articles published in journals in medicine, life science and health administration
- This database provides the most accurate and comprehensive chemical and related scientific information.
- Sociological Abstracts
- Provides abstracts to the latest research sponsored in sociology and related disciplines
- Citations and abstracts from journal articles, monographs, reports and dissertations in all areas of toxicology
- Web of Science
- Produced by Institute for Scientific Information (ISI). Provides article and citation searching in the sciences, social sciences, arts, and humanities
- Zoological Record
- Comprehensive coverage of zoology, including behavior, ecology, evolution, habitat, nutition, parasitology, reproduction, taxonomy, and zoogeography
Public Access Databases
- Produced by the National Agricultural Library
- Bibliography on Alternatives to the Use of Live Vertebrates in Biomedical Research and Testing, National Library of Medicine
- Current Research Information Service; USDA's reporting system for ongoing and recently completed research projects conducted or sponsored by USDA research agencies, state agricultural experiment stations, the state land-grant university system, other cooperating state institutions, and participants in USDA-administered grant programs.
- Ecotoxicology Database for locating single chemical toxicity data for aquatic life, terrestrial plants and wildlife; maintained by EPA.
- Defense Technical Information Center (DTIC) serves the Department of Defense (DoD) community as the central resource for DoD and government-funded scientific, technical, engineering, and business related information.
- Produced by the National Library of Medicine
- Produced by the National Library of Medicine. A cluster of databases on toxicology, hazardous chemicals, and related areas
- Zebrafish Model Organism Database of online information for zebrafish researchers.