Disease: Background Info
Resources below provide general information on diseases.
Use them to choose a disease, and get basic information on cause(s) and treatment(s).
- CDC (Centers for Disease Control) – Diseases and Conditions:
A-Z index of diseases and conditions.
- MedLine Plus: Health Topics (NLM Consumer Health Information)
Symptoms, causes, treatment and prevention for over 900 diseases, illnesses, and health conditions.
- Online Collections of Medical Texts
Library resources include online collections of medical texts, many include information on diseases. Resources relevant to this assignment are listed below.
First: search for your disease by name.
If you get too many hits, try narrowing your search by including the search terms "etiology" (causes) and "epidemiology" (causes, distribution, and control of diseases). For example: “Name of disease” AND (causes or epidemiology or etiology)
- Additional Resources:
Many national organizations, such as those listed below, provide information on diseases in their web pages.
- Mayo Clinic, Diseases & Conditions Guide
- American Cancer Society
- Arthritis Foundation
- Muscular Dystrophy Association
- American Diabetes Association
- Search for additional resources on the web.
Need more help with disease information?
- Visit the Carlson Health Sciences Library (HSL) Reference Desk for additional resources.
- Campus Map to Carlson Health Sciences Library