Citation Formats & Journal Abbreviations
Commonly used citation styles
IEEE Citation Guide: 3 page PDF
Short & efficient guide to IEEE citation format.
IEEE Editorial Style Manual:
18 page PDF
Citation formats and editorial guidelines for IEEE Transactions, Journals, and Letters. Includes abbreviations for IEEE publications.
ACS Style Guide, Chapter 14:
American Chemical Society (ACS) guidelines for citations of all types. See Table 14-2 (pgs 292-293) for common types of references with examples.
How To Find Journals
- ALL Journals (that UC Davis subscribes to):
- Use the UCD Library Catalog or MELVYL catalogs to find which journals we subscribe to, either online or in print.
Online subscriptions: the catalog will give the link. NOTE: we sometimes get online content for different years from different sources, R-E-A-D the fine print.
- Print subscriptions: the catalog will give you the call number, location, and indicate whether or not it is checked out.
- Electronic Journals A-Z List:
- Lists only online journals that UC Davis has an online subscription to.
If we have a print subscription, the journal will not be listed here.
- Will not find ALL online journals UC Davis subscribes to, but will find many
- When off-campus, install and login to the VPN, or you will not be able to access the articles
- Use the catalog to find ALL online and print journals subscriptions
- Make it easier to find articles: Set your Google preferences to activate UC-eLinks:
From Google Scholar:
- Click on SETTINGS
- LIBRARY LINKS
- Enter CALIFORNIA in the search box and select these options:
- University of California, Davis - UC-eLinks,
- Open WorldCat - Library Search,
- California Digital Library - UC-eLinks