SPH 222 Students
The Carlson Health Sciences Librarians are looking forward to joining SPH 222:
- Thursday, August 10, 2017 from 9:00 to 11:00 AM
- If possible, please bring your laptop to class, loaded with EndNote x8 software
The workshop will be an introduction to using EndNote citation management software to organize, cite, and share public health literature for MPH students.
Prior to class, please complete the brief survey [below] and Steps 1 - 4 in the boxes that follow.
If you have problems with installing the software, contact for help prior to the session. It will not be possible to work on software installation problems during the EndNote session on Thursday, August 10th.
Contact us if you have questions or problems: email@example.com
Step 1. Install EndNote x8 on your laptop.
EndNote is licensed by UC Davis, which makes it available for free to students.
To download Endnote:
- Go to https://software.ucdavis.edu.
- Sign in using your UCD Kerberos account.
- Once logged in, click on Library in the left folder-tree menu.
- Click on EndNote.
- Scroll down and download the appropriate version for your computer operating system.
- Note that during the installation of EndNote, all MS Office programs and anti-virus software must be turned off.
VERY IMPORTANT: Follow the download instructions precisely.
Installation Notes: If EndNote is installed correctly it will not ask for a product key.
Please see IT Knowledge Base article for complete instructions: http://kb.ucdavis.edu/?id=219
Step 2. Consider installing Firefox Browser, if it is not already installed.
This is recommended if you only have Safari browser. While Safari and EndNote are compatible, some export to EndNote functions are not as streamlined in Safari (and can be frustrating). Chrome also works well.
Step 3. Configure Google Scholar for UC-eLinks and EndNote
A configuration step is required to automatically access UC Davis Library's licensed full-text articles and export to EndNote from within Google Scholar.
Go to: http://scholar.google.com
Select the Settings gear icon. Make the following adjustments:
- Select 20 results per page.
- Bibliography manager: Select EndNote, not BibTex.
- Search for California Digital Library -- UC-eLinks and click on the checkbox.
- If University of California Davis -- UCD-eLinks is not already selected, then search for it and click on the checkbox.
- You should have two Library links now selected (University of California Davis and California Digital Library).
Step 4. EndNote Videos
Take a few minutes to watch some introductory videos from the EndNote | Thomson Reuter's website:
Questions? Chat with a Librarian
Thanks to Librarian Colleagues
Many thanks to the following UC Davis Librarians for their contributions to content:
- Cory Craig for creating EndNote: Getting Started.
- Melissa Browne for creating Citation Guides.